Let’s get into these spring trends that are specially tailored for the tomboy in you!
1. Risque Business- This trend puts an interesting spin on an old classic. In spring, you’re sure to see a remix on classic button up shirts. We’re adding unique details, such as bell sleeves, ties, wraps, ruffles, and more to these traditional tops. I love that this trend adds a feminine feel to a masculine look, very tomboy chic. It’s also a great way to make your work wardrobe fun as well.
2. Shoulder Work – Last spring was all about the cold shoulder, but this year we’re turning up the temperature by going all bare for the shoulders! Showing off your shoulders is such a subtle way to keep it sexy without letting it hang all out. It’s a trend that is sure to leave the boys hot and bothered in the midst of warm weather. This playful peekaboo will leave fellas with the thought of taking it off while leaving some to the imagination at the same, damn time!
3. Overhaul on Overalls – Buckle up and strap in to overalls this season! As a 90s baby, this trend might be my favorite. I’m ecstatic that these are starting to make waves again and what tomboy doesn’t love overalls? I know I absolutely LOVE my wax coated ones from G-Star RAW. They fit amazing too. Here I am wearing them with my girl Ashley at brunch.
Ashley (left side): Camo Hat from Walmart, Distressed T-Shirt from Marshall’s, Denim button down shirt (thrifted), Plaid button down shirt (thrifted), Moto Jacket found in Burlington Coat Factory, DL1961 Jeans, 6 Inch Premium Timberland Boots.
Manito, me (right side): G-Star RAW “Zamie” Slim T-Shirt, G-Star RAW 3301 High Waist Skinny Jumpsuit, Retro 11 Space Jam Jordan’s.
This wasn’t my best picture but Ash and I still brought out the best in our tomboy looks that day. Ashley is dope and slays with her own style. For more on Ash, peep her Instagram, @ash__hendrix.
4. Slip N Slide – With the popularity of athleisure and designer sportswear, slides are becoming a big trend not just for the poolside. You’re sure to see a lot more designer slides and slip-ons this season. I absolutely love RihRih’s Fenty Puma Slides with the satin bow They released last week in pink and in green, hopefully I’ll have my hands on a pair.
5. Errrything Embellished – This spring, it’s all about the details in your pieces. This means load on the luxe with lots of lace or chunky charms! Embellishments are a sure way to make a statement for the season. As a minimalist, I can imagine a studded shoe or a cluttered clutch being the statement piece behind a dope fit.
A lot of designer sneakers are taking a a bold, artistic-like approach with embellishments. I love Gucci’s DIY sneaker that allows you to customize their famous Ace sneaker with appliques of colorful symbols.
6. Mini Bag – With this trend, less is more. I’m a HUGE fan of this little trend simply because I absolutely HATE big purses and totes. Personally, I can’t stand the burden of carrying a big bag over my shoulders, so I usually favor small accessories. I don’t like the idea of something else taking away from my look and smaller bags usually fit better with my petite frame. I love a cute crossbody that’s perfect for the essentials: wallet, keys, phone, a charging accessory for when my hotline blings, and whatever lip shade I’m rocking to keep my smooches pretty.
Check out my favorite fellow NYC tomboy temptress, Vashtie, showing off this Bally “Suzy” mini bag on her site.
7. Send Nudes – Neutral colors are an amazing palette for the upcoming season, it transitions well from winter to lighten up your look for spring as opposed to typical bright, pastel shades you usually see. This is a great trend for me and all my other ladies with brown skin poppin, these tones look scrumptious on women of color. Next time BAE asks me to send him nudes, I’ll be sending him a few things from my upcoming spring looks.
8. Denim in Distress- Tear up the streets this spring with ripped jeans! Distressed jeans will give your look a nice edge. A current trend are jeans with distresses at the ankles, this can be a great way to bring attention to your shoes too. Stay true to this trend with an oversized destroyed jean jacket for your spring outerwear.
9. Stripez – I know what you’re thinking… stripes again?! YES, HELLO! In my last TREND TALK post for spring, I mentioned how stripes are my absolute fav! I fall in love and fall in line when this trend comes around. They’re fab to mix and match with. They can accentuate your figure or spice up the simplest outfit. You can keep it classic with black and white or go bold with bright colors.
I’ll be blending stripes with BAPE camo with this top this season in my streetwear gear.